Friday 5 December 2014

OUGD601 - Practical: Initial Ideas

The basis of my practical project is to see people's reactions to different typefaces used on the same advertisement. This is to see if the move to hand drawn typography and personalisation is doing the brands any favours in gaining an audience or if it is all just theoretical.

From the essay, I have decided to move forward with using the seven general type classifications discussed: Blackletter, Old Style, Transitional, Modern, Slab Serif, Sans Serif & Graphic. - With 'Graphic' being the hand drawn type style.

Working from the case study focussed on in my essay I have decided on creating posters for the McDonald's product 'The Big Mac'. This is because when looking over the advertisements they have, this product has not actually had an advertisement created with their new style of typography.

I looked over the previous McDonald's ads to get an idea of the layout that they use, and overall they are very standard in their approach, with type either above, below, over and to the side of a product, with the main focus on the product.

I drew out a few different layout ideas of how I could go about this, with varying orientations.


The whole point is to see if the type changes the tone of voice of the ad/the consumers view of the ad, so to keep it fair, I decided that the product must be clearly seen, so not underneath the text or half off the document.

I also think that the more simple designs are better, with each element having it's clear place on the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment