Sunday 9 February 2014

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 1: Layout Research

After doing research into publications I started looking more specifically into certain types of layouts that I like and that I think fit with the kind of image I am going for with this brand.

Haltung Magazine
http://www.editorialdesignserved.co/gallery/Haltung-Magazine/11426457
This is one of the first layout designs I came across that I really liked the majority of the elements to. Although I am not keen on the overall layout of some of the text and the amount of white space, I do like how the images are going across the centre of the pages, and how the body text overlaps the images occasionally. Something that also interested me was the way the images are used throughout this publication. They all aren't used in the same way. They are different colours for different pages, yet still consistent because of the way they have been edited. One thing I don't like is how some of the titles are broken words. I certainly don't like this and will be avoiding this in my own designs.

Albert Hofmann - FascĂ­culo coleccionable
http://www.editorialdesignserved.co/gallery/Albert-Hofmann-Fasciculo-coleccionable/12163419
This publication isn't necessarily the type of design work that I want to do, but it is similar in the approach so I still thought it was best to write about it. The layering of the text over the images is interesting, especially because it isn't solid, it is using a filter so the image is still seen underneath. The publication in general is quite bright and very busy is terms of the amount to look at. There isn't necessarily a lot of content on all the pages, but because there is so much overlapping of images and text, more would be far too much to take in at once. The pages seem to working double page spreads, each with its own colour scheme and individual layout. Something I don't like at all is the way that some images are upside down or overlapping another image.

9-16 wine magazine
http://www.editorialdesignserved.co/gallery/Wine-magazine-9-16/10229741
I like this publication because of the consistency throughout it when it comes to the images. They are all monochrome and are either full page or spread across the centre of the spread. I also like the use of columns throughout the publication, and the full page images with larger text on it. The contrasting heading colour is also something I think works very well.

Drama Magazine
http://www.editorialdesignserved.co/gallery/Drama-Magazine/10884037
This publication appeals to me because of the way the red is used as a minor detail but is so bold against the white of the stock and black text. It accentuates the text that it is with, making it clear that this is the title/main element on the page. The inside of this publication is mainly text driven, with very few images. The body copy is in large sections, broken up by bolder text sections or a break. The use of columns is good, however I don't like that there is a huge amount of written content on the pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment