Tuesday 2 October 2012

OUGD403 - Alphabet Soup - Shatter

For this task I have to use a ready-made typeface for my base, so I started by looking at a few different basic ones: Arial, Helvetica, Courier, Times New Roman & Baskerville.


I decided to keep it all in uppercase as I prefer it, and feel it's easier to work with than lowercase. Although I do prefer clean cut edges, for this project I think using a typeface with serifs will make the outcome that little bit more interesting & sophisticated - though harder as I have to hand draw the final outcomes. So I have decided to use Times New Roman, in bold so there's more surface area to work with.


I googled the word 'Shatter' to get a few images as a starting point:










I found this designers website, which has a whole section dedicated to work done from the word 'Shatter' - a few pieces based upon the same sort of pattern. I thought it was a particularly interesting way to look at the word - not actually having pieces all over the place, yet looking shattered because of the way the pattern is composed.


I also looked at this series of images from Craig Ward, as it is a text which get's shattered. I might not be able to use much from it, but it'll be useful in the developing of the letters.


No comments:

Post a Comment