Saturday 9 November 2013

OUGD504 - Design For Print: Flow Chart & Information Design research

After deciding on the direction of my project, I looked into the areas of flowcharts used in design and information graphics in general to help give me an insight into how things are displayed and how I could apply some of this to my own designs.

Flow Chart
For flowcharts, the example below is the most interesting one I found. Flow charts aren't used often in design by the looks of things, more designers seem to be using information graphics as a whole and doing a variety of different things on one page/publication instead of using flow charts. The flow charts that were used were just for their thoughts and for conceptual ideas, not for the final outcomes.
Those that did use flow charts are using a variety of images/text to illustrate the steps instead of using just text, which is what I want to do.
The example below was used for packaging and was the closest example to what I wanted to do with my flow charts.
These are much smaller than the ones that I will create, with less options/questions. I like the minimal use of colour on this and how simple everything is, with a clear start and finish.
http://www.behance.net/gallery/Feeling-the-Flow-chart/11281127

Infographics
For an example of infographics I chose the following book as it has a number of different ways to display information in and interesting and sometimes illustrative way.
I prefer the ones which are primarily text based in this book as the ones which are image based are completely about the image and haven't got much thought into the text elements in it.
http://www.behance.net/gallery/Guidebook-to-Sustainia/7153661

No comments:

Post a Comment