Monday 20 October 2014

OUGD601 - Direction

Following the presentation I started to decide exactly what it was that I wanted to speak about and create work around.

I started by taking my initial question, and the array of sub questions that I had under this.

Initial question:
Does typography influence a viewers initial assumption when looking at an advertisement?

Sub-questions:
- Does the layout of typography affect the views assumption?
- Can type be more powerful than an image in advertisement?
- What is powerful typographical advertising?
- What style of typography sells more?
- Can typography affect sales of a product?
- Do trends/social matters affect the typography used in advertisements?
- Is typography a major part of advertisement or is it overlooked?

- How is typography used in advertisements?

From this I thought about what exactly it was that I was interested in and what subject I would enjoy. I decided that the question I was going to go with is:

Can type be more powerful than image in advertisement?

I feel like going to this gives me a bit more of a focus, and there are clear areas to look into at this point: Typography, and Typography in Advertising, as well as a third areas being a case study.

I think that this is definitely something which I can talk about the basics behind typography and how they are used to create a tone of voice in an advert, and also how typography is used in conjunction with image.

Areas to explore:

Typography
  • Fonts & weights
  • Tone of voice
  • Readability - choice of typeface/leading/tracking/kerning/alignment
Typography in advertising
  • History
  • Trends
  • Hierarchy
  • Recognition & association
  • Correct message - images don’t do this on their own
Typography & Image

  • Case Study

No comments:

Post a Comment