Tuesday 6 January 2015

OUGD601 - Practical: Development of Poster #7 - Hand Drawn Type

In preparation for creating the hand drawn type, I looked over the OUGD603 project that I had done to see what kind of hand drawn style I wanted to go for. I wanted to reflect McDonald's' playful side as well as make it interesting for the viewer to look at.

At this point I have decided that the body copy should be written in a hand drawn type which is already a font. this means that it is consistent and clear in design and I don't have to spent a huge amount of time trying to create a font which works well as body copy, as this would take a long time to do well. I would rather spend the time creating the heading and making this work to the best of its abilities.

OUGD603: 30 Days - Link

From this project I picked out 6 of the designs which I felt were the most successful and which could be used in this brief. While they vary in style, there are similarities across them and I could use a couple of them.


From this I did a couple of initial ideas. I liked the idea of 'the only one.' to be in a scripted font. I wanted the 'the' and 'mac' be in a simple font, with the main focus on the 'big'. I had a couple of different ideas for the style of how this could be. The first is for it to be very simple in block letters, and the second is for it to be a bit more scripted, but still just as bold.

I did a few initial ideas so I could get a feel of what I wanted.


From this I decided that I wanted to have the 'big' in thick block lettering, and the 'the' and 'mac' in something a bit thinner and maybe with a serif.

The style below is what I intend to go with for the 'big'.


Development of the letters:










Happy with the design, I then scanned this into the computer so I could digitally alter it.


I edited the type so it was a bit more symmetrical and clean.


I then added this to the poster, adding a scripted font for the 'the only one.'


While I think this looks good, but the 'big' isn't as prominent as it could be. With this in mind, I inverted the type so it was block letters instead of outlines.


I also tried inverting the 'the' and 'mac' to outlines. This helps make the 'big' more noticeable.


This design is the one I am happiest with. I think the text balances out well and works well with the whole poster overall.

To create a more hand drawn feel to the poster, I thought about the idea of working with the chalkboard background and making it look like the type has been written on in chalk.

I scanned in a piece of paper with white chalk.


I then applied this texture to every element of the heading, and changed the effect to 'screen' so it would work against the background in a more realistic way.


Poster:

I am happy with the current progress of this poster and think that the hand drawn type has worked well, and is bold enough to stand up against the image, and the other six posters.

No comments:

Post a Comment